Sunday, November 20, 2016

Travel Transition Truth Part 2

Part 2: Transition

So the cat is out of the bag.  If any of you have seen this post from a few weeks ago, you will have known that I accidently outed myself about the big challenge that I planned to take on.



I have decided to do a marathon.  Ahhh!  What have I gotten myself into?!  Seriously!

I have hinted at it a few times in the past few postings so it won't come as a surprise for those that read this that I am in a transition time in my life.  Not the transition like changing jobs, finding a new place to live, or seeking out different social outlets, but a transition of feeling and figuring out who I am.  I am in my thirties and I still find myself trying to understand my place in the world.  I've been joking a ton with my closest friends that I think I am going through an early midlife crisis of sorts.

Here are some things I have found myself saying, doing, or considering...

1. Traveling - This isn't much of a shock.  People know I love to travel, but what I have found myself doing is researching out the wazoo about what the next adventure will be.  Besides visiting Europe, other things on the traveling bucket list are visiting all the National Parks, convincing my gal pals to have a long weekend in Marfa, visiting friends at other camps around the country, and the most recent research has been figuring out when, where, and how to see the aurora borealis (Northern Lights) in all their glory.  To prove this sentiment, check out (or don't) my Pinterest page.  It is overwhelming how much I post and share about traveling.

2. Style - Ok. So, my style has changed in the past few months.  I will say that I still consider myself put together, but I have become much more relaxed in what I choose to wear or how I wear it. 

Examples: 

Instead of wearing a scarf or cute shrug of sorts, I have opted for an oversized flannel shirt.  I counted this weekend when I did laundry that I have a total of seven.  SEVEN!  I can't believe I have one for every day of the week.  I don't know anyone else that wears flannel daily except the Brawny Man and I don't have a goal to take his job anytime soon.

I have typically worn simple yet stylish jewelry.  I would say the simple has stayed but I feel how I have worn it has become more eclectic.  There are rings on several fingers, several types of bracelets on at any given time, and I have considered getting a nose piercing.  The fear of the needle is what is currently deterring that decision.

And make-up... There is none unless absolutely needed

Oh. And, Birkenstocks. Yep. Invested in a pair. With no toe loop. You know what that means...socks and sandals in the winter. 😉 Just kidding. But at least it's an option. 

3. Health - I am someone that has always been aware of the need to stay healthy.  However, in the recent months I have found that I LOVE organic foods, working out, and sleeping way more than I ever have before.  The love for organic things I'm sure is all in my head, but ask a few friends from my most recent road trip about the effects of me eating organic things and they will attest to my overall great mood.  My body has a long way to go to show the fruits of this lifestyle change but I have noticed that my overall attitude about life has been much more optimistic as a result of being mindful of these changes.  And this, my friends, is where the idea of a marathon sounded like a good one.

I have inferred that I have found myself happier as a result of some of my health changes and this is true, but this has come from also having found myself in a super low time in my life.  There were lots of little things, nothing worth mentioning, that added up and over time really got me in the pits.  I struggled with finding balance of what I can control and what I can't and it lead me down a path that I knew I needed to try to turn around before going further.

A close friend had mentioned that running a marathon might be a great way to channel some of this energy that I was struggling with.  It would allow me to focus on something that was within my control as well as help me get back on the path of health and fitness.  I was hesitant, but she and I both knew that I'm someone that needs big challenges.  I thrive when I work toward something that seems almost out of reach and when that goal is accomplished, the level of satisfaction and self confidence grows immensely.

So... here I am.  I'm training for my first full marathon that I plan to do in April.  I have also gotten suckered in to signing up for the Chicago Marathon Lottery.  I signed up with three other friends and I know it will be my luck that of the four of us, I will get picked.  I'm in a state of transition, but one that I'm welcoming.  It will be an interesting journey and I can promise that I will have many stories to tell while on this road to something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment